Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's Been A REALLY Long Time!!!!!

Gosh, I didn't realize I haven't posted all year long. I guess I've been sleeping my life away these past few months. My pain has begun to increase back to 7-9 again so my pain management doctor was working on trying to bring it back down to 5-7, or better.

It's been a struggle but it seems we're finally getting somewhere, even if it's only because I sleep for several hours after taking each dose of medications. While I'm sleeping, I'm not feeling the pain. It seems like it's a terrible situation but really, it's not. I can remember not being able to sleep because of the pain, so at least I'm able to sleep now.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but my pain management doctor wanted to spend more time on surgeries and less time on patients who only came in for check-up and narcotic scripts. I was switched to another doctor who's a physical medicine and rehab doctor. He started a more aggressive approach for treating the pain, than the PM doctor did. We have more work to do because, although I'm sleeping through the pain, when I'm awake it's still very high.

Mickey's employer changed medical insurance carriers again (due to the buy-out) so when we went to get the prescriptions filled in January there was approximately $140 increase. It made me sick to my stomach to worry about being able to purchase them each month. Lyrica and Oxycontin are the highest, with both being close to $100 each. Thankfully, I had extra Lyrica from when we were trying to work out the correct dosage, that helped keep the cost down for February. Now we'll have to work out March and the doctor said he probably has enough samples to fill a script. I sure hope he does.

I'm trying Skelaxin also. I didn't like the way it made me swell each morning, but it did help with the back and leg spasms. Due to the extreme swelling in my hands and feet, I'll ask if there's something else he could recommend. I couldn't even close my hands and there was one finger on my right hand that would pop before it opened. At least the Skelaxin was provided in samples and I didn't have to pay for it.

My new puppy "Pinky" is wonderful. She's a little cutie pie. We're working on her aggressive behavior but when she's not being aggressive, she's the most loving puppy there is. By aggressive, I mean she nips, barks, growls and bites at me and others. She even tries to push people out of her way with her head. She doesn't like to be left behind, if I leave the bedroom she makes sure she's right behind me. If I leave the bed to go to the restroom, she wants to go. She use to try to type for me but I've gotten her use to laying in her bed when I'm on the computer. Then, no matter what she's doing, she doesn't like to be too far away from me. Mostly, she's right under foot. I didn't think I'd be this happy with having a puppy but I guess I surprised myself. Aside from the aggressive behavior (mostly when she's sleepy, like a little baby fighting sleep), I'm very pleased with her.

Since I've been spending so much time sleeping, there's not much more to add. I'm hoping my body is still just trying to adjust to the addition of the immediate release Oxycodone and the increase in extended release Oxycontin. I really miss visiting ASAP several times a day. It really throws my entire day off track.

I hope everyone is having a pleasant day/weekend! Please continue to keep everyone at ASAP in your thoughts and prayers.


3 comments:

Dan and Tina said...

Janice,

I'm glad to see your getting sleep but hope your pain level reduces during your waking hours.
It's a vicious cycle but better than 24 hour pain.
(((HUG))
Sending peaceful thoughts your way

Anonymous said...

Janice, I'm so happy to see your update -- so sorry though that you still have the high level pain so often. I just meant that I'm happy to "hear" from you as I wonder often how you're doing. I know you're doing the best you can with what you've got (as Mac always said). Know that there are people near and far praying that the good outweighs the bad. Be blessed my friend, Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice,
I posted and then it disappeared, so I'm trying again. So glad you are sleeping through the pain. I hope your med doc can get that pain under control for you, though.

I read your other entry and Mickey sounds like he is as perfect of a husband as anyone can get. I'm jealous. :) Not really, I am happy for you, totally.

Pinky sounds like a lively little thing. She will bring joy to you and good companionship. I would love to have a puppy but I don't have anyone else living with me, so I don't think it would be right for me to get one, since I can barely take care of myself sometimes.

Janice, I just know that research is going to find some answers for us. Just hang in there and know that you are loved. I've gone through the depression as well and haven't been able to see that the sun was going to shine again. But it does.

Enjoy Pinky.
Love,
Barbara