Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's going on?

I've been doing the same with some days rougher than others, yet I manage to keep a smile on my face most days. I can't help but believe that a positive attitude can only make the situation better, even with family and friends. No one wants to be around a person who spends their days being miserable. That old saying "misery loves company" does not reside in my home. Instead, I believe that my being miserable has nothing to do with those around me. I might be having a horrible day but I don't have to impose that on everyone else.

Those horrible back and leg spasms are still a constant in my life. They have yet to resolve and we (PM doc and I) have not found the right muscle relaxer to help provide some relief. I already knew Flexiril was out, from prior experience.

Recently, I've tried a month of Skelaxin that caused an enormous increase in body swelling. Last month I was switched to Soma that caused an increase in these horrible headaches at the base of my skull. I can tolerate a few headaches a month, but when it changes to 3 or 4 a week, it becomes intolerable. On the 30th of March, I was switched to Baclofen. Mickey picked it up from the pharmacy yesterday and I started it this morning. I hope this is the one that does the trick. If not, that's it for me. I told the PM doctor that I can not continue to deal with the spasms (that feel like charlie horse's) and whatever side effect these muscle relaxers are causing.

Thankfully, I have not experienced any new, or increasing, symptoms since the spasms. Well, not any related to SM. Only those that were caused by the muscle relaxers, but I'm hoping that the "3rd times the charm"!

The members, and caregivers, at ASAP (www.asap.org) need your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate everyone who passes their good wishes along to my ASAP family.

I hope everyone has a pleasant day!!

No comments: