Saturday, September 20, 2008

Better Days

It's so amazing and intricate, the way SM works on the body. You never know from minute to minute, how you're going to feel. I am continually at a lose of the "no rhyme or reason" philosophy on how SM works. When you think you know why increases in symptoms occur, you find out, you're wrong. It's basically a disorder that does "what it wants, when it wants".

Thank GOD, I have been feeling a little better since Wednesday. I still have swelling on the right of my spine, and across the lower back. Overall, I'm beginning to feel less days of 8-10 pain, and more days of 7-8 level pain.

I find it rather strange that the body begins to accommodate all the suffering that's placed on it. I might think, I need to go to the ER. However, I know that all they really do is give you an injection and send you on your way. That's a huge price to pay for such a short-lived comfort effect. Once the effect of the injection wears off, you're still stuck with the overwhelming, excruciating pain that led you to the ER in the first place. It's very frustrating. I can sleep at home without paying hundreds of dollars for an injection to put me to sleep. The only difference being that the injection allows me to sleep peacefully without any recollection of the hours that passed.

That said, the body eventually adjusts to the abuse of increased pain and other symptoms. It's sad, but the pain, numbness, tingling, tremors, breathing difficulty, tinnitus and any symptoms I experience, are not life-threatening. Once the body adjusts to the abuse and stress being placed on it, you just learn to live with everything and move on. You find ways to live with them, maintain some sense of normalcy and a chance at a "new" normal way of living.

I have continued, over the last two years, to learn that I can and will, survive. It's truly such an amazing experience to go from crying and being in the fetal position in bed, to being up in the wheelchair with a smile on my face, going about my day.

The last few days have been livable and I certainly pray for livable days. Today, I can even deal with all the strange sensations going through my spine, all day long, with a dramatic increase when I lay down.

Thank GOD for better days!! :-)

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

1 comment:

Dan and Tina said...

Hi Janice!

I hope you are continuing to enjoy slightly more comfortable days!

I noticed you haven't posted in a while and hope it's due to feeling better and not because your pain is bad.

Take care and I'm thinking of you!

:-)
Tina