Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend Holiday Fun

My holiday fun started on Saturday with a visit from my friend Hanh. It was an unexpected visit, but very welcomed. I was having one of the worse days possible when all of a sudden Hanh comes up to the door with a smiling face and flowers in hand. I probably talked her ears off but it was just great to see her during a day that started out very bad for me. I continuously used the icepack and TENS unit, throughout the day.

Hanh was very sweet in offering (ok, I nudged a little) to help out with the cleaning for the holiday party on Sunday. She did a terrific job in cleaning the kitchen and it was greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, she didn't make it over for the party, regardless I was thrilled to see her and happy to have something to focus on, besides the pain I was struggling through.

Sunday my son planned a holiday party and it turned out really nice. I had a lot of fun, once the horrible headache I had, calmed down. I was very sad most of the day thinking I wouldn't be able to attend the party, although it took time, I eventually attended for a little while. I chatted with everyone and was introduced with those I had not met before. Alcohol was served but I do not mix alcohol with my meds. It could be very dangerous for me and I'm not willing to jeopardize my life, so I had none. My feet were numb most of the day as well. This was new for me. I've had numbness on my leg and thigh, on the right side only. However, both feet were numb when I woke up Sunday morning.

My daughter came to visit and attend the party. She helped me (pretty much, I told her what to do) with the spaghetti and sauce, and Mickey helped me boil the ribs before he put them on the grill. Thank goodness I only had a few food items to attend to. One of the guys cooked the other items, boiled and grilled the chicken, while Mickey grilled everything else. I was taught as a pre-teen to boil chicken and ribs before grilling. Both can take forever to grill and have the tendency to be dry because they take so long to grill before they are done. By boiling them first, you limit the grilling time and the meat doesn't dry out. The other cook wasn't sure about the idea of boiling the chicken first, however, during the grilling process he mentioned that it was a terrific idea and that he'll be boiling his meats before grilling from now on.

The food, music and company was wonderful and the party lasted until approximately 10PM. I had planned to be in bed around 8PM but Cindy came to visit so I stayed up to enjoy company time with her. She made pink panties for the remaining folks and everyone commented on how good they were. Around 9:30 or so, I couldn't take anymore and told Cindy I was done for the night. Then I couldn't get to sleep until around midnight or so.

Of course, I used the TENS unit and icepack throughout the day. So far today has been the same with pain and other symptoms. The numbness still exists in my feet but not nearly as numb as they were on Saturday when I woke up and for most of that day. I'm still using the TENS unit and the icepack today. I use the TENS unit on a very low setting so that it basically feels like a light massage. I slept a lot up until around noon and I'll rest a lot as well, but I wouldn't trade a moment of fun time I had the entire weekend.

Between my daughter, Hanh and Cindy, I didn't have much time to focus on the pain or to be depressed. It was great and I am thankful to have had this special weekend.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Labor Day!!

No comments: