Saturday, August 30, 2008

Update

I appeared to be getting a little relief from the 10mg increase of Oxycontin. I only got 30 days which ran out recently. I realize that although I didn't really think the increase was helping, it really was. The pain I've had over the last few days is back to excruciating. I can't take this kind of pain on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I no longer have any dilaudid to take during increased periods of pain. I ran out of that really early in the month. It did last a very long time because I only took it when absolutely necessary.

Without the 10mg Oxycontin, and no dilaudid, I have been forced to do whatever it takes to bring the pain down. I have used the icepack, as always, and will use another one soon. I am using the TENS unit frequently, throughout the day and I had to take an additional 20mg's of Oxycontin since I don't have anymore 10's. Of course, I took it at the same time of the scheduled 10mg dose and I was thrilled to finally get some relief. I hate the feeling of being in so much pain that you don't know what to do with yourself. You hurt so bad that you don't know whether to sit, prop against pillows, or lay down.

The increase also causes a loss of sleep. I couldn't get to sleep until early in the morning and even then, I tossed and turned from the burning, stabbing pain in my hips and back. I usually try to go to bed as late as possible so I don't have to deal with the painful, spinal sensations that occur when I lay down. However, I only toss and turn during the worse periods of increased pain. Unfortunately, it always brings back the horrible hip pain.

A new symptom, (or maybe an increase in an existing symptom) I've been experiencing, and I'll speak to my doctor about it, is very painful muscle twitches in my legs. I felt it a little bit in my arms, but an overwhelming amount in my legs. It happens continuously throughout the day, over the last few weeks.

I'll see what my doctor has to say but I think it's just an increase in the spasticity symptom, only it feels more like a "charlie horse", if anyone has every experienced a charlie horse, you know what I'm talking about. However, a charlie horse happens every once in a while. The feeling I'm experiencing is happening throughout the day.

I hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful 3-day, holiday weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janice, instead of the 10's unit, I use the muscle stimulator and there is a huge difference between the two. The tens unit actually made me hurt worse. Can you ask your doctor about a muscle stimulator? Just make sure you know how to use it because it does NOT cross over like the tens. Other than the ice and in a horizontal position, I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes I can get relief by sitting in a chair and hanging myself over towards the floor to stretch out the spine. Sometimes that will help but if the pain is already out of control, that probably won't do much for you. So sorry you are suffering. Dang, it is the pits to try and figure out all of this stuff and what helps, what hurts, what's what. It drives me nuts sometimes. Slowly but surely I am going to try and get it together on the do's and don'ts that will keep everything to a minimum as far as suffering. It is just a hard situation to be in. Seriously consider the muscle stimulator verus the tens unit, though. Just make absolute certain you are properly instructed on how to use it. Not easy to do yourself, even though I do it myself. Better if someone else places the pads on you. NO crossing over the spine though!
Love,
Barbara