Thursday, December 18, 2008

Appointment w/Dr. X

I had an appointment w/Dr. X. yesterday. He said the pain in my thighs are nerve related and told me to speak w/my pain management (PM) doctor about prescribing Baclofen. We'll see how that goes. I let him know that the PM doctor was trying to get my pain under control right now and doesn't want to add too much at one time. This way, we know what's working and what's not. Since it was recommended by the main doctor following my case, I'm sure he'll add it.

Dr. X. seems to think that I haven't accepted that this is a permanent condition. I believe I have. I think he said this because I asked if a CT scan will show more than an MRI. I told him that something has occurred in the last few months in order for my pain to spike up so bad, and for so long. He said if the Baclofen, and others medications the PM doctor adds, doesn't work he'll order the MRI. I let him know that I'm currently due to have one in February anyway, according to my Neurologist.

We discussed the spinal cord injury program at Sharp hospital again and I let him know that my insurance company (none of them) won't authorize it because it's considered non-medically necessary. He wants to do a peer-to-peer review but we'll wait until January because Mickey's company is switching from BCBS, back to Cigna then. Three switches in one year, crazy!! Hopefully once he does the peer review, Cigna will cover the program. The program is designed to train patients the proper use of a wheelchair and hand control driving. I need the latter training class. Not that I'll be able to afford the installation and modifications to my vehicle but at least the training portion will be out of the way. Mickey wants me to call Sharp and see how much the program costs, out of pocket. I'll get to that, I have a few weeks to get it done.

Basically, we continue to monitor my situation and make sure I'm comfortable. Dr. X. feels that if I'm able to drive, I will not have as much pain because I'll be able to get up and go whenever I want. He says that being stuck at home isn't good and can have a negative mental impact. Basically, not being able to drive, contributes to depression and pain levels. If I'm able to get the independence of driving back, I might begin to feel better. I don't think so. I'm a passenger in the car and riding contributes to an increase in pain. When we're in the car for longer than 30 minutes, I'm crying from the pain. I carry on because I feel that if I have to be in pain, I may as well be headed to some place fun.

Please continue to pray for all the members, and caregivers, of the ASAP support group. All are welcome to visit: www.asap.org/forum.

I hope everyone has a pleasant day!!



1 comment:

Tom said...

our prayers are with you.