Friday, June 20, 2008

Aquatic Therapy Appointment Today

The appointment went well. The water temperature was so calming, I was ready to fall asleep. LOL!

After I was lifted into the pool, we started off with a tube wrapped around my back and underarms to secure me. It's been a very long time since I was in a pool. We had to go below the 5 foot mark so I could stand on my legs (not toes). I floated around for a while until the tremors settled down some.

When I was able to stand, the tremors went back into full swing. That's always been the problem. There's no rhyme or reason to the tremors. No one, even me, has been able to determine any triggers or timing methods. Bottom line, they start and stop, whenever they want. They get pretty stubborn at times too.

Once the standing tremors calmed, we started doing pivot exercises. The tremors were slight so we started walking sideways, holding onto the bar. The tremors were under control so we started walking forward, turn around and walk back. Approximately six to eight steps each way, still holding onto the bar.

This all occurred over a 15-20 minute period. All of a sudden it felt like a 500lb weight had been placed on my lower back. Three people helped me (with the lift) back to my wheelchair and Mickey rolled me to a room so I could get dressed. The therapist brought me a glass of water so I could take some pain meds.

I still had to get seated in the car. The meds take 15 minutes to take effect.

While I was out, I asked Mickey to take me to WalMart so I could pick up the things I've been requesting for quite a while. I also had to get the ear drops I need to begin on Monday. My pain level never went down. Well, it was my own fault for being so stubborn and wanting to get my much needed shopping done. We weren't in there long. Remember, I only get out of the house once a week, and it's certainly not to WalMart.

By the time we left the store, my legs were hurting and aching real bad. I could barely stand up. When we got home, I tried to rest but I couldn't. I watched TV for a bit, kind of a forced rest. Talked on the phone to NL and LH, sent an email to JW and came to blog. My eyes have been burning and are heavy, since the moment I got in the car to come home but I'm not ready to sleep. Today, I'm like the child who fights sleep! LOL

I hope everyone is having a pleasant day! Please continue to add my friends from ASAP (Kira, Keesha and Penny) to your prayer list. Kira will be having surgery on Monday so please pray for her then.

No comments: