Monday, June 16, 2008

Dr. Mc - The Greatest Doctor

It's been six months since my last appointment with Dr. Mc. Prior to this appointment, I saw him every three months. Once all my disability paperwork went through and I started seeing the pain management doctor on a monthly basis, he advised me that I only needed to visit him every six months. He also advised to make sure I keep up my visits to the Neurologist. Did I mention he was the doctor who fought (verbally) with the Long-Term Disability carrier for me to get my benefits?

Dr. Mc is an exceptional doctor and has really done all that he can for me. Without the need for surgery, there's not much else to do. However, if there's an emergency, I can contact him any time. He's also still the doctor who completes all my paperwork related to my disability.

Considering that he's a surgeon who has never performed surgery on me, I really admire the fact that he continues to treat me. Most surgeons drop you when there's no surgical need. Their main goal is surgery so unless they're going to operate, they don't care to get involved.

For instance, my Neurosurgeon saw no need to operate and referred me back to the Neurologist for on-going treatment. Dr. Mc didn't refer me to another doctor, he continued to treat me, whether I needed surgery or not.

He didn't perform my surgery in the hospital, yet he was the doctor who followed my care until I was transferred to Acute Rehab. He was also the doctor I saw for my post-op follow-up. I was seen by a PA for the doctor who performed the surgery but I never saw him personally, once my surgery was over.

I really don't like going to the doctor, I never have. I'm looking forward to the appointment being over. However, at least I know I'm in good hands with Dr. Mc. It's good that he'll get a chance to advise me on the bulging discs that have developed since my last appointment with him.

No comments: