Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dealing With Weight Gain

Years ago, after I had three babies, I weighed over 200 pounds. The problem was with my height, I'm only 5 feet tall. That's a lot of weight and in my eyes, I was huge.

For years, I tried to lose weight. I did every weight plan out there but nothing worked. I did weight watchers twice. This was before the pre-made meals. They had menus that you followed for 6 weeks. I did alright the first time and lost about 25 pounds. I waited a while and did it again. The second time I lost about 15 pounds. I cheated the second time. Altogether I had lost 45 pounds and about three pants sizes. I went from a size 18 to a size 12. It wasn't a lot but it was something and I was much more comfortable.

Within a year, I gained 45 pounds plus another 15 pounds back. I was totally frustrated and gave up even trying for about 6 or more years. After my mom passed away, I tried again. I lost weight so fast that everyone was telling me I was beginning to look anorexic. I wore all dresses and stretch type pants so I barely noticed how much weight I had lost.

One day I decided to go shopping and I had gone from a size 18 to a size 4. I couldn't believe it happened so fast. I only dieted for about two months or so. I didn't really diet, I cut back on the food I normally ate each day. For years, before dieting, I only ate one meal a day and today I still eat this way. I started eating a little more each day until I got to a size 6. Actually, some items I could get a 4 and some a 6.

I have been the same size for 10 years, until I got sick. After being home for a year, I gained 10 pounds. After starting Lyrica, I have gained 30 pounds more. A total of 40 pounds and instead of a 6, I now wear a size 10. I'm totally disgusted with this because it took me over 10 years to finally lose all that weight.

I had to choose between controlling the nerve pain or gaining weight. Lyrica is the only medication I have found that even comes close to controlling the nerve pain. I had a bad reaction to Neurontin. My options were very limited and Lyrica worked.

It's hard to watch myself keep gaining weight but it's not from my food intake. I haven't changed the way I've eaten in 10 years, other than to eat less but I'm still gaining. I only hope it stops soon. August will be the one year mark of taking Lyrica. Hopefully the weight will level off. My doctor keeps telling me that eventually I will begin to lose. I'm waiting!!

No comments: