Monday, June 2, 2008

Coping With Chronic Illness and Related Symptoms

With any chronic illness, you need to develop coping skills.

When I'm having bad days, I think that I'm really not coping very well. I realized today, that's not true. If I weren't coping well, with all that I have to deal with each day for the past 2 years, I wouldn't rise out of bed. I know this because in the beginning, I didn't get up. I laid in bed all the time, not for need or necessity, but rather because of severe depression.

I realize that there is a "huge" difference between staying in bed because of the way you feel from debilitating symptoms, versus staying in bed because of the "mood" you're in.

Acknowledging the difference, gives me the strength I need to move forward. The desire I have to get out of the house every Thursday. The will to live on, despite having a high level of pain each morning, and other debilitating symptoms.

I believe I can cope with everything that goes along with dealing with chronic pain and chronic illness. When I experience an increase in existing symptoms, or new symptoms, I suffer through the depression phase and, by the grace of GOD, I "make" it to acceptance. I believe I have done well at accepting and adapting to everything that has happened as a result of this illness. I have to believe that I can stay positive and continue to smile, regardless of what I'm suffering/struggling with on the inside.

I pray that GOD always gives me the strength, courage and ability to cope with any continuing progression or debilitation that occurs.

Please continue to lift my friends up in prayer. Kira is awaiting a pain pump and continues to struggle with high level pain and lack of sleep. Keesha is suffering from debilitating seizures that occur numerous times throughout the day, everyday. Penny (aka: hipcrip) is struggling with increasing progression of symptoms. Alana is struggling with increasing pain after surgery. All have been suffering/struggling with chronic symptoms resulting from Chiari Malformation, Syringomyelia and/or other Brain or Spinal related Disorders.

I hope everyone is having a *great* day!

No comments: